Fluffy Spelt and Quinoa Pancakes with Mixed Berries
Makes 9 pancakes
1 C spelt flour
½ C quinoa flour
3 ½ t baking powder
1 T maple sugar (optional)
Pinch of sea salt
1 1/2 cup whole milk*
3 T coconut oil (or butter, melted) + more for cooking
1. In a large bowl, sift together the flours, baking powder, maple sugar and sea salt well.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together milk, egg and coconut oil (or melted butter)
3. Make a well in the center of flour mixture bowl and gradually pour in milk mixture, whisking gently until incorporated and smooth.
4. Heat a lightly oiled griddle (or frying pan) over medium heat. Pour the batter, in ¼ cup measurements, onto griddle and cook until golden brown on each side. Before flipping pancake over, you’ll see little bubbles form in the batter. When they pop, it’s ready to be flipped over. Please resist the urge to flatten your pancake!
5. Serve hot with maple syrup or jam or fresh fruit.
*Whole milk can be substituted for buttermilk (homemade recipe coming soon) or even almond milk.