Made 8 Cups
1 C red quinoa
3/4 cup black beans, soaked overnight (or 1 15oz. can)
1 C sweet corn, grilled (leave husks on 1-2 ears of corn) OR 1 C frozen corn, thawed
1/2 C red onion, diced (1 small red onion is about right)
1/2 C cilantro, roughly chopped
1 peach, diced
For the dressing:
1/4 C extra virgin olive oil
1/4 C freshly squeezed lime juice
1 T apple cider vinegar
1 T dijon mustard
1 T maple syrup
1 t sea salt (or more to taste)
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Rinse and soak the quinoa in a saucepan for 15 minutes. Drain and rinse again. Add 2 C water to quinoa and cook over high heat until it reaches a boil. Then, reduce heat to low, cover and let cook for 20 minutes or until the water has evaporated. Let cool.
2. Get the beans going! Drain, rinse and add beans to a saucepan with enough water to cover. Cook on high heat for 10 minutes while removing any foam that accumulates. Reduce heat to medium, add kombu and partially cover, cooking for 40 minutes or until just tender. (You don’t want them too soft, but these are dense little beans so make sure they’re all cooked through:) Drain and let cool.
3. If using, grill the corn. I leave the husks on when grilling (or you could roast like this too) for added depth in flavor. About 10 minutes on high is usually good. Make sure you rotate for even cooking. Remove husks and cut kernels off. Should yield about a cup.
4. Mix all dressing ingredients and whisk until thoroughly incorporated.
5. Mix quinoa and beans in a large bowl. Add corn, red onion, peach, cilantro and toss with dressing.
6. Let sit for about an hour in the refrigerator to let the flavors settle and to let the quinoa absorb the dressing. This salad is worth the wait!
7. Enjoy! (I enjoyed it with avocado on the side and some extra peaches just for fun!)